Jan. 30, 2014
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated visiting Toledo 6-1 Thursday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals (4-1) will face Tennessee Tech in the second half of a doubleheader at 6 p.m.
"I felt like this team learned something today," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "I think they felt like this would be an easy day, but I told them that these were two very good teams (Toledo and Tennessee Tech). The reason I scheduled them back-to-back is because I have confidence in the depth of this team. They underestimated the team and came out flat - and with the shortened format in doubles, it was a little bit late to regroup after our cold start. Even though we were up 5-1 in the tiebreaker at No. 1 doubles, that team came back and beat us. I think we can use this as a learning tool for mental preparation before a match. Our single lineup still remains strong."
The Cardinals fell behind early when Toledo collected wins at Nos. 1 and 2 to take the doubles point. Stejepan Sisko and Garett Cona defeated junior Chris Simich 6-3 at No. 2 while Nicky Wong and Mark Singnil outlasted juniors Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Albert Wagner 6-5 at No. 1 to claim the first point of the match. Van Damrongsri and Luis Elizondo edged Ryan Jorgensen and Boris Pak 6-5 at No. 3 for the Cards' lone doubles victory.
Louisville responded by sweeping all six singles matches in straight sets. Junior Michael Lippens defeated Jorgensen 6-3, 6-1 at No. 6 to even the score at 1-1. Simich gave the Cards a 2-1 lead with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Roberto Meza on court five. Wagner followed with a 6-5, 6-2 decision against Sisko. Damongsri's 6-2, 6-0 victory over Cona sealed the win. Gornet defeated Wong 6-3, 6-5 at the two-spot and Stiefelmeyer wrapped up the match with a 6-3,6-5 win over Singnil at No. 1.
#47 Louisville 6, Toledo 1
Jan 30, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Mark Singnil (TOL) 6-3, 6-5
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Stjepan Sisko (TOL) 6-5, 6-2
3. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Nicky Wong (TOL) 6-3, 6-5
4. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Garrett Cona (TOL) 6-3, 6-4
5. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Roberto Meza (TOL) 6-2, 6-0
6. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,5,2,4,3,1
1. Nicky Wong/Mark Singnil (TOL) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-5
2. Stjepan Sisko/Garrett Cona (TOL) def. Alex Gornet/Chris Simich (LOU) 6-3
3. Van Damrongsri/Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Ryan Jorgensen/Boris Pak (TOL) 6-5
Order of finish: 2,1,3
Louisville 4-1; National ranking #47