Jan. 29, 2012
DURHAM, N.C. - - The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 4-2 to VCU in the consolation match of the 2012 ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The Cardinals drop to 3-2 while VCU improves to 6-1.
The Rams took an early lead by winning the doubles point. The team of J. Vazquez Catoira and Alejandro Argente defeated Robert Hall and Chris Simich 8-2 at No. 3. Alexis Heugas and Antoine Baroz outlasted the Cards' 24th ranked Andrew Carter and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 9-8 at the top seed to claim the first point of the match.
VCU picked up wins on courts four and two to take a 3-0 lead before the Cards began to rally with Stiefelmeyer's 6-1, 6-0 victory over Filip Svensson at No. 3. Carter defeated Heugas 7-5, 7-6 at No. 1 to pull the Cards within a point. With the last two courts in their third sets, Catoira clinched the match with a 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 6-2 won over Luis Elizondo at No. 6.
The Cardinals will go back on the road to face Michigan on Feb. 2.
#47 VCU 4, #30 Louisville 2
Jan 29, 2012 at Durham, N.C.
Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center
1. #113 Andrew Carter (UL) d. Alexis Heugas (VCU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Max Wennakoski (VCU) d. Michael Lippens (UL) 6-2, 6-4
3. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) d. Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Antoine Baroz (VCU) d. Albert Wagner (UL) 6-3, 6-2
5. Chris Simich (UL) vs. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 2-4, susp.
6. J. Vazquez Catoira (VCU) d. Luis Elizondo (UL) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,2,3,1,6
1. Heugas/ Baroz (VCU) def. #24 Carter/ Stiefelmeyer (UL) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Svensson/ Wennakoski (VCU) vs. Sumit Gupta/Van Damrongsri (UL) susp.
3. Catoira/ Argente (VCU) d. Robert Hall/ Simich (UL) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1