Jan. 28, 2012
DURHAM, N.C. - - The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 26 Washington Saturday in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Kick-Off Weekend at Duke's Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. The loss marks the first of the 2012 season for the No. 30 Cardinals (3-1). Washington improves to 4-0.
The Huskies took the first point of the match by winning doubles at Nos. 1 and 2. Emmett Egger and Kyle McMorrow defeated No. 24 Andrew Carter and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 8-5 at the top seed. Jeff Hawke and Max Manthou edged the Cards' Sumit Gupta and Van Damrongsri 9-8 on court two as a battle at No. 3 was taking place with Louisville's Robert Hall and Chris Simich and Washington's Marton Bots and Matt Stith locked at 8-8 - the match was suspended when the Huskies clinched the point.
In singles action, Nicholas Kamisar beat Hall 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6 and Kyle McMorrow topped Carter 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1. With the other courts engaged in three-set battles, Washington's Max Manthou defeated Chris Simich 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 to ensure the win.
Louisville will face the loser of the match between No. 10 Duke and No. 47 VCU in Sunday's consolation match at 4 p.m.
#26 Washington 4, #30 Louisville 0
Jan 28, 2012 at Durham, N.C.
(Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center)
1. #15 Kyle McMorrow (WASH) d. #113 Andrew Carter (LOU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Emmett Egger (WASH) vs. Michael Lippens (LOU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
3. Marton Bots (WASH) vs. Seb. Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-7, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
4. Viktor Farkas (WASH) vs. Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-4, 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
5. Max Manthou (WASH) d. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Nicholas Kamisar (WASH) d. Robert Hall (LOU) 6-3, 6-2
Louisville 3-1; National ranking #30
Washington 4-0; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,5)