Jan. 22, 2012
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - - The University of Louisville men's tennis team picked up its first road win and improved to 3-0 on the season with a 6-1 victory over host No. 38 Maryland Sunday afternoon.
"Today, this young team grew up," said head coach Rex Ecarma. "To face one of the best teams in the ACC, which returned 100 percent of its starters and added a top recruit, and win convincingly brings joy to our hearts. I still feel Maryland will end up being a top 20 team or higher by midseason."
The Cards fell behind early after Maryland swept doubles to capture the first point of the match. No. 36 John Collins and Maros Horny upset Louisville's 24th ranked Andrew Carter and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 8-4 at the top seed. Senior Sumit Gupta and freshman Van Damrongsri fell 8-3 to Andy Magee and Vlad Stefan at No. 2 while senior Robert Hall and freshman Albert Wagner lost 8-4 to Tommy laine and Jesse Kiuru at the three-spot.
The Cardinals responded by sweeping all six singles points. Freshman Michael Lippens quickly tied the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Maros Horny at No. 2. Stiefelmeyer took down No. 121 Vlad Stevan 7-5, 6-1 at the three-spot to give Louisville a 2-1 lead. Freshman Chris Simich downed Andy Magee 6-4, 6-3 on court No. 5 to increase the lead to 3-1. Hall clinched the win with a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Laine at No. 6.
"We started off slow," said Ecarma. "This was the first road dual match for the four freshmen that started today, but they all turned the tide in singles. All the work they have put in preparing showed up in singles. When we won every first set, that was all the coaching staff asked for. We then controlled the match and watched each court close out the match. This was Chris Simich's first dual match and Michael Lippens beat one of the top returners in the ACC Conference. Today's MVP was Michael Lippens, who was first in winning his singles match."
U of L (3-0) will travel to Durham, N.C., for the ITA National Kick-Off Weekend Jan. 27-29.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Maryland
Jan 22, 2012 at College Park, Md.- (Tennis Center at College Park)
#30 Louisville 6 - #38 Maryland 1
1. #113 Andrew Carter (LOU) def. John Collins (MD) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Maros Horny (MD) 6-3, 6-2
3. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. #121 Vlad Stefan (MD) 7-5, 6-1
4. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Jesse Kiuru (MD) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Andy Magee (MD) 6-4, 6-3
6. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Tommy Laine (MD) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,3,5,6,1,4
1. #36 John Collins/Maros Horny (MD) def. #24 Andrew Carter/Seb. Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 8-4
2. Andy Magee/Vlad Stefan (MD) def. Sumit Gupta/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-3
3. Tommy Laine/Jesse Kiuru (MD) def. Robert Hall/Albert Wagner (LOU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Louisville 3-0; National ranking #30
Maryland 1-1; National ranking #38