Jan. 20, 2013
EVANSTON, Ill. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 4-1 to host Northwestern Sunday afternoon.
Northwestern opened the match by winning on courts three and two to take the doubles point. Louisville sophomores Van Damrongsri and Luis Elizondo fell 8-3 to Alex Pasareanu and Mihir Kumar at the three spot. The Cards' 31st ranked duo of sophomore Albert Wagner and freshman Alex Gornet topped Spencer Wolf and Fedor Baev at the top seed to knot the doubles wins at one apiece. The first point came down to the No. 2 spot where Sidarth Balaji and Raliegh Smith beat sophomore Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and freshman Austin Siegel 8-6.
In singles action, Northwestern's Chris Jackson defeated Elizondo 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 to push the Wildcats' lead to 2-0. Wolf topped Stiefelmeyer 6-4, 6-2 at the top seed to make the score 3-0. Gornet recorded the Cards' point with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) victory over Baev at the six-spot. On court three, Louisville sophomore Chris Simich rallied from a 6-3 loss in the first set to win the second 6-4, but fell 6-4 in the third as the Wildcats clinched the win. The matches at Nos. 2 and 4 were abandoned once Northwestern secured the win.
"Northwestern ended a long string of losses to us today," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "It seemed they had a lot of angst and took it out on us today. We were up 6-3 with two breaks in the deciding doubles match and lost. Northwestern came out so fired up and executed well which took us out of the match. They showed no weaknesses today and deserved to win."
The Cards (3-1) will travel to Oxford, Miss., where they will face North Carolina State in the ITA National Kick Off on Jan. 25
#34 Louisville at #41 Northwestern
Jan. 20, 2013
1. Wagner/Gornet (UL) def. Wolf/Baev (NU) 8-6
2. Balaji/Smith (NU) def. Stiefelmeyer/Siegel (UL) 8-6
3. Pasareanu/Kumar (NU) def. Elizondo/Damrongsri (UL) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. No. 82 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Raleigh Smith (NU) unfinished Albert Wagner (UL) 7-5, 4-6, 4-0
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Chris Simich (UL) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. Alex Pasareanu (NU) unfinished Austin Siegel (UL) 6-7 (1), 6-3, 1-0
5. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Luis Elizondo (UL) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Gornet (UL) def. Fedor Baev (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6, 3*