Jan. 17, 2014
Box Score |
Luis~nbsp> Elizondo on the season-opening win over Morehead State
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team opened the 2014 season with a 7-0 win over Morehead State Friday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"Our focus on our match was trying to be as efficient as possible," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "Not overestimating ourselves, but to cut out unforced errors. In most cases, we did. Especially we had four 6-0 sets and I felt the guys really locked in on all of their match or portions of their match. I felt they were very efficient they did a good job in staying focused. As a coaching staff we say we control how we play, not the level of the person across the net. I felt the guys took the message to heart and really executed it today. Jeffrey Brown is our player of the match today."
The Cards opened the day by sweeping all three doubles matches. The junior duo of Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri defeated Jack Swindells and Ji Hoon Heo 6-2 at the top seed. Junior Chris Simich and freshman Eric Bonfre followed with a 6-1 victory over Nick Mercer and Gabriel Ruiz at the No. 2 spot to seal the first point of the match. On court three, junior Luis Elizondo and sophomore Jeffrey Brown teamed to beat David Clifford and Giovanni Samaha 6-4 to round out doubles.
In singles action, Elizondo quickly put the Cards up 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Heo at the three-spot. Junior Michael Lippens defeated Mercer 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 to give Louisville a 3-0 lead. Simich's 6-0, 6-4 victory over Clifford on court four to clinch the win. Stiefelmeyer picked up a 6-1, 6-3 win over Swindells at the No. 1 position to make the score 5-0. Sophomore Jeffrey Brown topped Gabriel Ruiz 6-1, 6-4 at No. 5 and Damrongsri completed the sweep with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Samaha on court two.
Morehead State vs Louisville
Jan 17, 2014 at Louisville
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
#48 Louisville 7, Morehead State 0
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Jack Swindells (MOR) 6-1, 6-3
2. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Giovanni Samaha (MOR) 6-4, 6-2
3. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Ji Hoon Heo (MOR) 6-0, 6-0
4. Chris Simich (LOU) def. David Clifford (MOR) 6-0, 6-4
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Nick Mercer (MOR) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Gabriel Ruiz (MOR) 6-1, 6-4
1. Van Damrongsri/Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Jack Swindells/Ji Hoon Heo (MOR) 6-2
2. Luis Elizondo/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. David Clifford/Giovanni Samaha (MOR) 6-4
3. Chris Simich/Eric Bonfre (LOU) def. Nick Mercer/Gabriel Ruiz (MOR) 6-1
Morehead State 0-1
Louisville 1-0; National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,4,1,6,2)
For the latest information on Louisville men's tennis, log on to GoCards.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/UofLMTennis or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/gocardstennis.