Jan. 7, 2011
HONOLULU, Hawaii - -
The University of Louisville men's tennis teamed opened the 2011 season at the Hawaii Rainbow Warrior Challenge Thursday. The Cards played two rounds of doubles on the opening day of the tournament.
Louisville will face Hawaii Friday at 3 p.m. (Eastern).
In the day's first round of doubles, Tennessee swept all four matches. The Cards' Austen Childs and Viktor Maksimcuk fell 8-6 to John-Patrick Smith and Boris Conkic at the top seed. Alejandro Calligari and Robert Hall dropped an 8-5 decision to Jarryd Chaplin and Rhyne Williams at No. 2. Simon Childs and Adam Donaldson lost 8-4 to Edward Jones and Tennys Sandgren at the No. 3 position. Andrew Carter and Sumit-
Prakash Gupta fell 8-4 to Matteo Fago and Bryan Swartz.
In the second round of doubles action, Carter and Donaldson picked up an 8-5 win over Jones and Swartz at the No. 4 spot. Austen Childs and Maksimcuk lost 8-2 to Smith and Conkic at the top seed. Calligari and Hall surrendered an 8-4 decision to Chaplin and Smith at the No. 2 slot. Childs and Gupta battled, but ultimately fell to Fago and Sandgren 9-8 at No. 3.
Rainbow Warrior Challenge
Tennessee vs. Louisville
Round 1 Doubles
1. John-Patrick Smith/Boris Conkic (UT) d. Austen Childs/Viktor Maksimcuk (UL) 8-6
2. Jarryd Chaplin/Rhyne Williams (UT) d. Alejandro Calligari/Robert Hall (UL) 8-5
3. Edward Jones/Tennys Sandgren (UT) d. Simon Childs/Adam Donaldson (UL) 8-4
4. Matteo Fago/Bryan Swartz (UT) d. Andrew Carter/Sumit-Prakash Gupta (UL) 8-4
Round 2 Doubles
1. Boris Conkic/Rhyne Williams, UT, d. Austen Childs/Viktor Maksimcuk (UL) 8-2
2. Jarryd Chaplin/John-Patrick Smith (UT) d. Alejandro Calligari/Robert Hall (UL) 8-4
3. Matteo Fago/Tennys Sandgren (UT) d. Simon Childs/Sumit-Prakash Gupta (UL) 9-8
4. Andrew Carter/Adam Donaldson (UL) d. Edward Jones/Bryan Swartz (UT) 8-5