Freddie Braun's Blog #8 - | Official Website of University of Louisville Athletics
Freddie Braun's Blog #8

Freddie Braun

Freddie Braun

Oct. 19, 2009

Louisville, Ky. - At least once a year a bizarre incident happens on the field. Last year we were hit by a hurricane (really a windstorm) and then at Rutgers we were hit by a storm that twirled in circles around the field. This year it couldn't have happened at a better time. It could be one of our biggest rivalries against Kentucky and the stadium lights go out in the 40th minute. With a 15-minute delay, the lights turned back on to finish the half but again the lights blew a circuit with 10 seconds left. Besides the distractions of the lights, we prevailed against the Wildcats to make my record here at Louisville undefeated against Kentucky. We started the game off slow but managed to score a goal in the first half. Kenney Walker served a great ball into the box to Phil Edginton's head for the 1-0 lead. For the rest of the game our defense played very well and held on for the win.

On Friday we left for New York to play St. Johns. We left Friday morning in order to practice and get used to the turf field. It was not the best playing field and it did take some time to get used to from the ball bouncing off the hard surface. It was miserable driving to and from places because of the traffic. I will never live in New York City because the traffic is awful. Not to mention our bus driver would get lost every time we went out or the fact that he wasted so much gas pushing on the gas and brake every two seconds. What was his thought process? By the end of the trip I needed a neck massage.

We thought the game would be under bad weather conditions with it being cold and rainy but it turned out to be an okay night. We played good in the first half and went up 1-0. Josh Lipka scored his first goal of the season by dribbling two guys in the middle of the field and took a left footed shot off the post and in. We went into half time with a goal lead. During the second half, we had the wind in our face and it was tough to judge the high balls in the air. It cost us in the end when St. Johns scored a goal off a corner kick that flicked off one of our players to hit the St. John's player's face and in. The second goal came off a punt from the keeper and we missed read the ball where it bounced for the opponent to finish. With seven minutes left Mark Knight dribbled down the left side to make a cross to Colin Rolfe to tie the game. We then went into overtime where we missed read another high ball and St. John's got lucky with a player standing right there to finish for the win. Although we did not win the game, we played very well and look forward to fixing where we were exposed this week in practice.



Next game we play is home on Wednesday against No. 25 Indiana at 7:00 p.m.. Over the past few years Indiana has been a huge rivalry game and will be a good one on the night. Then we play at home again on Saturday against Rutgers at 7:00 p.m. Come out and support us!

Until the next Kicking it with Freddie, "Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful" - Joshua J. Marine


Official Online Store