March 8, 2012
Box Score |
AP Gallery |
- Louisville advances to the semifinal round of the BIG EAST Championship, where the Cardinals will face either Notre Dame or USF.
- The Cardinals have reached the semifinal round of the BIG EAST Championship for the second straight year and the third time in the past four seasons.
- Louisville’s win marks the fourth time in five years that the BIG EAST Championship’s No. 7 seed defeated the No. 2 seed in the quarterfinals.
- Louisville has won four of its last five games in the BIG EAST Championship.
- Louisville’s Gorgui Dieng had three blocks, increasing his single-season school record total to 107.
- Kyle Kuric accomplished two feats in the win Thursday night. After hitting two 3-pointers on Wednesday and connecting on two tonight, he has 159 3-pointers for his career, tying him with Everick Sullivan (1988-92) for 10th most in a career. Kuric finished the game with 20 points, pushing his career total to 909 points.
- Russ Smith recorded five steals in the win, giving him 74 for the season. The total ties him with Labradford Smith (1989-90) for the sixth-most steals in a single season.
- Louisville had 50 rebounds and nine blocks. Both totals are the most by the Cardinals in a BIG EAST tournament game.
- The Cardinals scored 50 points in the first half, Louisville’s highest point total in the opening period this season. It is the fourth time this season the Cardinals have scored at least 50 points in a half after previously achieving the feat against IUPUI (50 points in the second half; Dec. 7), Memphis (53 points in the second half; Dec. 17) and Connecticut (51 points in the second half; Feb. 6).
- Marquette committed 26 turnovers - the most by the Golden Eagles this season and one shy of the BIG EAST Championship single-game record.
- Marquette’s loss snapped a five-year streak in which the Golden Eagles won their first game of the BIG EAST Championship.