Aug. 12, 2011
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -
Here is this week's Louisville baseball summer update with highlights on the progress of the Cardinals' 20 players competing this summer.
Right-handed pitcher Jeff Thompson and shortstop Alex Chittenden were key contributors as the Keene Swamp Bats won the New England League championship on Wednesday with a two-game series sweep of Laconia. Thompson, who was 2-0 with a 0.71 ERA and 15 strikeouts in two playoff starts, finished his summer at 4-2 overall with a 1.60 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 10 starts and 50.2 innings pitched. Chittenden closed the summer hitting .276 with five home runs, 32 RBI, seven doubles and 35 runs scored in 48 games played.
Louisville had seven players named to summer league All-Star rosters in 2011. Catcher Kyle Gibson played in the Great Lakes League All-Star Game on July 13 at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, while right-handed pitcher Travis Tingle and outfielder Adam Engel competed in the Coastal Plain League All-Star Game on July 18 in Fayetteville, N.C. On July 27, right-handed pitcher Jeff Thompson and shortstop Alex Chittenden were starters in the New England League All-Star Game. Right-handed pitcher Matt Koch pitched in the Cape Cod League All-Star Game on July 29, and though he did not play in the game, right-handed pitcher Justin Amlung was also selected as a Cape Cod League All-Star.
The Cardinals had 19 underclassmen and one incoming signee assigned to wooden bat summer baseball leagues around the nation in 2011. Following the completion of the collegiate summer leagues, players will return to campus for the fall semester in mid-August to continue Louisville's preparation for the 2012 college baseball season.
New England League (Season completed)
- RHP Jeff Thompson (Keene Swamp Bats; League All-Star; League champion) was 2-0 with a 0.71 ERA and 15 strikeouts in two playoff starts. His best outing came in his final start on Aug. 8 when he had 10 strikeouts with only five hits in 6.2 innings of shutout baseball to earn the win against Holyoke. Thompson finished his summer at 4-2 overall with a 1.60 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 10 starts and 50.2 innings pitched.
- IF Alex Chittenden (Keene Swamp Bats League All-Star; League champion) ended his summer hitting .276 with five home runs, 32 RBI, seven doubles and 35 runs scored in 48 games played.
- LHP Cody Ege (Vermont Mountaineers) was 3-2 with a 3.04 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 13 appearances (seven starts) and 47.1 innings pitched this summer.
- IF Ty Young (Vermont Mountaineers) finished his summer by hitting .220 with nine RBI and 11 runs scored in 33 games (including two playoff games).
Cape Cod League (Season completed for UofL players)
- RHP Matt Koch (Chatham Anglers; League All-Star) closed his summer with 12 straight relief appearances (including 1.0 inning of shutout relief in the Cape Cod League All-Star Game) and 15.1 consecutive innings of relief without allowing a run. During the stretch, he had 16 strikeouts and allowed only eight hits. Overall, he was 1-0 with five saves and a 1.19 ERA in 17 regular season relief appearances and 22.2 innings of work this summer. Including his All-Star Game outing, he had an ERA of 0.89 in 23.2 innings in the prestigious league.
- RHP Justin Amlung (Wareham Gatemen; League All-Star) ended his summer early but the First Team All-BIG EAST selection was outstanding finishing with a 3-1 record, a 1.76 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 41 innings pitched and seven starts.
- RHP Dace Kime (Chatham Anglers) finished 1-4 with a 5.91 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 42.2 innings pitched. He pitched in 11 games overall with eight starts.
- RHP Andy Flett (Wareham Gatemen) was 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA and 11 strikeouts in 10 appearances and 10.2 innings of relief this summer.
- RHP Chad Green (Bourne Braves) finished 0-1 with a 6.85 ERA and 10 strikeouts in 11 appearances (two starts) and 22.1 innings pitched.
Coastal Plain League (Season completed)
- RHP Travis Tingle (Thomasville HiToms; League All-Star) was 5-1 with 11 saves in 27 relief appearances this summer. He had 40 strikeouts in 40.1 innings of work and an ERA of 4.02.
- OF Adam Engel (Florence RedWolves; League All-Star) finished his summer with a .283 batting average, two home runs, 26 RBI, 28 runs scored and 19 stolen bases in 25 attempts in 39 games played.
- At the plate, OF Cole Sturgeon (Thomasville HiToms) hit .250 with 14 runs scored, seven RBI and two doubles in 22 starts and 27 games this summer. On the mound, the left-hander was 2-1 with a 3.21 ERA and 11 strikeouts in eight appearances and 14.0 innings of relief.
Great Lakes League (Season completed)
- C Kyle Gibson (Lexington Hustlers; League All-Star) closed his summer by hitting .295 with 16 RBI, six doubles, three triples, 13 runs scored and 16 walks in 35 games (regular season, exhibition and All-Star).
- RHP Mike Nastold (Cincinnati Steam) finished the summer 1-0 with a 2.42 ERA and 30 strikeouts in five starts and 22.1 innings pitched this summer.
Cal Ripken League (Season completed)
- C Jeff Gardner (Baltimore Redbirds) completed his summer by hitting .252 with two home runs, 17 RBI, nine doubles and 13 runs scored in 37 games.
- RHP Brandon Alphin (Baltimore Redbirds) was 4-0 with 18 strikeouts and an ERA of 2.79 in 10 appearances (six starts) and 32.2 innings pitched this summer.
- RHP Curtis McCombs (Baltimore Redbirds) is 1-1 with a 3.67 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 34.1 innings pitched and 10 appearances this summer.
Northwoods League (Regular season to be completed on Aug. 14)
- With three days left in the regular season, 1B Zak Wasserman (Mankato MoonDogs) is hitting .232 with two home runs, 21 RBI, 18 runs scored, 10 doubles and 25 walks in 55 games this summer.
2011 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments / Honors
Cape Cod League
- Justin Amlung - Wareham Gatemen (League All-Star)
- Andy Flett - Wareham Gatemen
- Chad Green - Bourne Braves
- Dace Kime - Chatham Anglers
- Matt Koch - Chatham Anglers (League All-Star)
Coastal Plain League
- Adam Engel - Florence RedWolves (League All-Star)
- Cole Sturgeon - Thomasville HiToms
- Travis Tingle - Thomasville HiToms (League All-Star)
- Nick Ratajczak (2011-12 newcomer) - Wilson Tobs
New England League
- Cody Ege - Vermont Mountaineers
- Alex Chittenden - Keene Swamp Bats (League All-Star; League champion)
- Jeff Thompson - Keene Swamp Bats (League All-Star; League champion)
- Ty Young - Vermont Mountaineers
Cal Ripken League
- Brandon Alphin - Baltimore Redbirds
- Curtis McCombs - Baltimore Redbirds
- Jeff Gardner - Baltimore Redbirds
Great Lakes League
- Kyle Gibson - Lexington Hustlers (League All-Star)
- Mike Nastold - Cincinnati Steam
New York League
- Ryan Seiz - Oneonta Outlaws
- Zak Wasserman - Mankato MoonDogs