Nick Ratajczak in Mankato
July 25, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Here is the latest Louisville baseball summer update with highlights on the progress of the Cardinals' 25 players competing this summer.
Leading the way for the Cardinals in this week's update is catcher Shane Crain, who earned a starting spot in Tuesday night's Perfect Game League All-Star Game. Louisville's 25 underclassmen are assigned to six different wooden bat leagues around the nation, including an NCAA leading nine players in the prestigious Cape Cod League. Following the completion of the collegiate summer leagues, players will return to campus for the fall semester in mid-August to continue Louisville's preparation for the 2013 college baseball season.
Listed below are updates on the progress of some of the Cardinals during summer league action as well as a complete list of 2012 Louisville baseball summer assignments.
Perfect Game League
- Catcher Shane Crain was selected as a starter in Tuesday night's Perfect Game League All-Star Game in Amsterdam, N.Y., and finished 1-for-2 for Team Griffin in its 4-0 win over Team Ebright. Overall, Crain is hitting .314 with one home run, 19 RBI and 21 runs scored in 31 games for the Oneonta Outlaws.
Cape Cod League
- Through 31 games played for the Wareham Gatemen, outfielder Cole Sturgeon is hitting .315 with 27 runs scored, 10 RBI, seven doubles and six stolen bases. Sturgeon has hit safely in five straight games and eight of his last nine overall.
- Despite being saddled with losses in four of his six outings this summer, right-hander Jared Ruxer has been good on the mound for Wareham with a 3.14 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 28.2 innings pitched. In his most recent start on July 22, Ruxer finished with a no-decision after allowing two runs on five hits with four strikeouts in 6.0 innings against Brewster.
- In five appearances and four starts for the Bourne Braves, right-hander Chad Green is 3-0 with 26 strikeouts in 25.0 innings pitched and a 3.60 ERA. Green has won three straight starts, including his most recent outing on July 22 when allowed only one run on four hits with four strikeouts in 6.0 innings against Orleans.
- In 37 games for the Mankato MoonDogs, second baseman Nick Ratajczak is hitting .338 with 34 runs scored, 22 RBI, 21 walks, eight stolen bases, 10 doubles, one home run and a triple. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games. In a game on July 19, Ratajczak was 1-for-2 with four RBI, including a three-run homer, three runs scored and four walks in a win over Rochester.
- In nine starts on the mound for Mankato, left-hander Kyle McGrath, who sat out the 2012 season after transferring to U of L from Eastern Kentucky, is 5-2 with a 4.70 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 53.2 innings pitched.
Coastal Plain League
- In 34 games for the Florence RedWolves, outfielder Matt Helms is hitting .283 with 21 RBI, 11 runs scored, six doubles, one triple and eight stolen bases.
- During his 33 games with Florence, outfielder Jeff Gardner is hitting .257 with one home run and 20 runs scored.
2012 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments
Cape Cod League
- Nick Burdi, Chatham Anglers
- Alex Chittenden, Chatham Anglers
- Adam Engel, Chatham Anglers
- Joe Filomeno, Wareham Gatemen
- Chad Green, Bourne Braves
- Dace Kime, Chatham Anglers
- Jared Ruxer, Wareham Gatemen
- Cole Sturgeon, Wareham Gatemen
- Jeff Thompson, Bourne Braves