Adam Engel playing for Chatham in the Cape Cod League (Eric Adler, Cape Cod Chronicle).
July 12, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Here is the latest Louisville baseball summer update with highlights on the progress of the Cardinals' 25 players competing this summer.
Louisville's 25 underclassmen are assigned to six different wooden bat leagues around the nation, including an NCAA leading nine players in the prestigious Cape Cod League. Following the completion of the collegiate summer leagues, players will return to campus for the fall semester in mid-August to continue Louisville's preparation for the 2013 college baseball season.
Listed below are updates on the progress of some of the Cardinals during summer league action as well as a complete list of 2012 Louisville baseball summer assignments.
Cape Cod League
- In 20 games played for the Chatham Anglers, outfielder Adam Engel leads the Cape Cod League with 12 stolen bases in 13 attempts while hitting .254 overall. He has also drawn 14 walks with three triples and has scored 20 runs.
- Freshman righty Nick Burdi has made three straight shutout appearances from the Chatham Anglers' bullpen. In those three outings, he had seven strikeouts with no walks and allowed only one hit in 4.1 innings of relief. Overall, he has no decisions this summer and a 4.26 ERA with nine strikeouts in five relief appearances and 6.1 innings pitched.
- Outfielder/left-handed pitcher Cole Sturgeon continues to be among the top hitters in the Cape Cod League with a .330 average overall in 22 games for the Wareham Gatemen. He also has three home runs, five doubles, one triple, 10 RBI and 20 runs scored. In five games from July 4-8, Sturgeon hit .391 (9-for-23) with three doubles and five runs scored.
- Lefty Joe Filomeno is 1-1 overall with two saves, 16 strikeouts and a 3.94 ERA in 10 relief appearances and 16.0 innings pitched for Wareham.
- In three appearances for the Bourne Braves, right-hander Chad Green is 1-0 with 15 strikeouts in 14.0 innings pitched and a 3.86 ERA. Most recently, he earned his first win of the summer allowing four earned runs on five hits with two strikeouts in 5.0 innings in the starting role against Hyannis on July 7.
- In 28 games for the Mankato MoonDogs, second baseman Nick Ratajczak is hitting .342 with 26 runs scored, 15 RBI, 15 walks, seven stolen bases, nine doubles and a triple. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games. In a game on July 7, Ratajczak was 4-for-5 with two doubles, four RBI and two runs scored against Waterloo.
- In seven starts on the mound for Mankato, left-hander Kyle McGrath is 5-1 with a 3.40 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 42.1 innings pitched. McGrath, who sat out the 2012 season after transferring to U of L from Eastern Kentucky, has won three straight starts with 21 strikeouts in those three outings.
Perfect Game League
- In 20 games with the Oneonta Outlaws, catcher Shane Crain ranks fourth in the league in hitting with a .397 average to go with one home run, six doubles, 13 RBI and 16 runs scored. Overall, he has hit safely in 12 straight games, while hitting .470 (16-for-34) in his last eight games.
New England League
- In 17 games for the Vermont Mountaineers, first baseman Ryan Karl is hitting .266 with two home runs, two doubles, one triple and six RBI. He opened the summer by hitting safely in his first 10 games for the Mountaineers.
Coastal Plain League
- In 25 games for the Florence RedWolves, outfielder Matt Helms is hitting .278 with 17 RBI, 10 runs scored, four doubles, one triple and five stolen bases.
- During his 23 games with Florence, outfielder Jeff Gardner is hitting .264 with one home run and 15 runs scored.
2012 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments
Cape Cod League
- Nick Burdi, Chatham Anglers
- Alex Chittenden, Chatham Anglers
- Adam Engel, Chatham Anglers
- Joe Filomeno, Wareham Gatemen
- Chad Green, Bourne Braves
- Dace Kime, Chatham Anglers
- Jared Ruxer, Wareham Gatemen
- Cole Sturgeon, Wareham Gatemen
- Jeff Thompson, Bourne Braves