June 30, 2014
Kyle Funkhouser made two scoreless appearances during the USA Team Trials last week. (photo courtesy of USA Baseball).
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Righthanded pitcher Kyle Funkhouser was named to the 24-man roster for the USA Collegiate National Team on Monday morning highlighting this week's Louisville baseball summer update.
A native of Oak Forest, Ill, Funkhouser earned his spot with Team USA following the completion of the USA Collegiate National Team Trials on Sunday night. In two appearances on the mound during the trials, including one game and one intrasquad scrimmage, Funkhouser struck out three and allowed only one hit with no walks in three shutout innings of work.
Up next, the USA Collegiate National Team will begin a series against Chinese Taipei on July 1 at 7:05 p.m., ET at the National Training Complex in Cary, N.C. The teams will play again on July 2 at Keeter Stadium in Shelby, N.C., on July 3 at BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte, N.C., and on July 4 and 5 at Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, N.C.
Team USA will then host a three-game set against Japan July 6-8 in Thomasville, Wilson and Wilmington, N.C., before traveling to the Netherlands for Honkbal-Haarlem Baseball Week, July 11-20. Following that tournament, the U.S. will head to Cuba for a five-game friendship series, July 23-27.
Overall, Louisville has 22 underclassmen assigned to the USA Collegiate National Team as well as four different wooden bat leagues this summer. Following the completion of the collegiate summer season, players will return to campus for the fall semester in late August to continue the Cardinals' preparation for the 2015 college baseball season.
Listed below are updates on the progress of some of the Cardinals during summer league action as well as a complete list of 2014 Louisville baseball summer assignments.
Cape Cod League
- In his first start of the summer, lefty Josh Rogers finished with four strikeouts and allowed only one unearned run on three hits in five innings to earn the win for the Bourne Braves in an 8-2 victory over Brewster on June 27.
- Righty Jake Sparger followed Rogers on the mound on June 27 for Bourne pitching three innings of shutout relief allowing just two hits with a strikeout in the win over Brewster. In two relief appearances this summer, Sparger has allowed only two hits in four scoreless innings.
- Lefty Drew Harrington made an impressive debut in the Cape for the Wareham Gatemen striking out five while allowing only one unearned run on three hits and no walks in five innings to earn the win over Chatham on June 22. He added one inning of shutout relief against Yarmouth-Dennis on June 25 in his second appearance of the summer.
- In five games for the Wareham Gatemen, infielder Danny Rosenbaum is hitting .353 with four runs scored. The best game of his opening week in the Cape came on June 25 when he was 3-for-5 with two runs scored against Yarmouth-Dennis.
New England League
- Through six games for the Vermont Mountaineers, outfielder Colin Lyman is hitting .400 with a triple, five runs scored, two RBI and one stolen base.
- In 17 games for Vermont, infielder Blake Tiberi is hitting .354 with five doubles, one triple, 12 runs scored, four RBI, six walks and two stolen bases.
- Having made three relief appearances on the mound for Vermont, lefty Robert Strader has a 1-0 record with a 1.92 ERA in 4.2 innings.
- In two relief appearances for the North Adams SteepleCats, righty Jonah Philley has a 1-1 record, a 1.92 ERA and four strikeouts in 4.2 innings on the mound.
Coastal Plain League
- In two starts for the High Point-Thomasville Hi-Toms, outfielder Logan Taylor has finished 5-for-8 at the plate with a double, one RBI, three runs scored and four stolen bases.
- Having made five relief appearances for the Hi-Toms, righty Jordan Simons has not allowed an earned run with 10 strikeouts and a 1-1 record in 9.1 innings of work.
2014 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments
USA Collegiate National Team
- RHP Kyle Funkhouser
Cape Cod League
- LHP Josh Rogers, Bourne Braves
- RHP Jake Sparger, Bourne Braves
- INF Sutton Whiting, Bourne Braves
- RHP Zack Burdi, Chatham Anglers
- INF Grant Kay, Cotuit Kettleers
- LHP Drew Harrington, Wareham Gatemen
- OF Corey Ray, Wareham Gatemen
- INF Danny Rosenbaum, Wareham Gatemen
New England Collegiate League
- C/OF Ryan Summers, Keene Swamp Bats
- RHP Mason Richardson, Newport Gulls
- UTL Will Smith, Newport Gulls
- INF Zach Lucas, North Adams SteepleCats
- RHP Jonah Philley, North Adams SteepleCats
- OF Colin Lyman, Vermont Mountaineers
- INF Nick Solak, Vermont Mountaineers
- LHP Robert Strader, Vermont Mountaineers
- INF Blake Tiberi, Vermont Mountaineers