RHP Jeff Thompson is 1-0 with a 0.96 ERA in two starts this summer.
June 23, 2011
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Here is this week's Louisville baseball summer update with highlights on the progress of the Cardinals' 20 players competing this summer.
The Cardinals have 19 returning underclassman and one incoming signee playing summer baseball in wooden bat leagues around the nation in 2011. Following the completion of the collegiate summer leagues, players will return to campus for the fall semester in mid-August to continue Louisville's preparation for the 2012 college baseball season.
Coastal Plain League
- Since last week's update, RHP Travis Tingle has continued his outstanding work on the mound for the Thomasville HiToms earning two wins, two saves and allowing only one run on five hits in 7.1 innings of relief in four appearances during the last seven days. Most recently, he came out of the bullpen on June 22 to pitch 3.0 innings of shutout relief with three strikeouts to earn the win against the Forest City Owls. That outing followed a win on June 19 and saves on June 18 and June 16. Overall, Tingle is 3-0 with four saves, an ERA of only 1.42 and 11 strikeouts in 12.2 innings of relief this summer.
- During the last week, OF Adam Engel (Florence RedWolves) has hit safely in four of six games with three of those being two-hit performances. Overall, he is hitting .308 with one home run, 19 RBI and 12 stolen bases in 14 attempts in his 19 games this summer.
New England League
- IF Alex Chittenden hit safely in three of four games during the last week for the Keene Swamp Bats. Overall, he is hitting .400 with seven runs scored, two RBI and five walks in seven games this summer. He and his Keene teammates will play an exhibition game against the USA Collegiate National Team on Thursday at 6:30 p.m., in Keene, N.H. Chittenden will see Team USA again on Monday, June 27 (noon ET) when he plays for the New England League All-Stars against the USA National Team at Fenway Park in Boston.
- Making his second start of the summer on June 17, LHP Cody Ege (Vermont Mountaineers) allowed only one run on five hits with two strikeouts in 7.0 strong innings against Keene. Overall, he is 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA in 13.1 innings pitched this summer.
Cape Cod League
- RHP Justin Amlung (Wareham Gatemen) earned his first win of the season on June 16 with 6.0 shutout innings allowing only one hit with three strikeouts in a victory against the Orleans Firebirds. Overall, Amlung is 1-1 with a 2.50 ERA in three starts and 18 innings pitched this summer.
- Despite suffering his first loss of the season on June 19 when allowed only one earned run in 5.0 innings against the Hyannis Harbor Hawks, RHP Dace Kime (Chatham Anglers) continues to pitch well this summer. He has allowed only one earned run (0.69 ERA) and just six hits to go with 12 strikeouts in four appearances and 13 innings of work.
- During the last week, RHP Matt Koch (Chatham Anglers) delivered two scoreless appearances out of the bullpen. After a perfect inning of relief against Hyannis on June 19, he came back with a scoreless inning of work on June 21 against the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox to earn his first win of the summer. Overall, he is 1-0 with a 3.38 ERA and six strikeouts in 5.1 innings of relief.
- RHP Chad Green (Bourne Braves) has three appearances on the mound this summer, including one start. Overall, he is 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA in 8.0 innings of work.
Great Lakes League
- In five regular season games and three exhibition games this summer for the Lexington Hustlers, C Kyle Gibson is hitting .292 with five RBI and four runs scored.
2011 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments
New York League
- Ryan Seiz - Oneonta Outlaws
- Zak Wasserman - Mankato MoonDogs