June 11, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - University of Louisville baseball head coach Dan McDonnell has announced the Cardinals' 2012 summer league assignments, which includes 25 underclassmen scheduled to play in six different wooden bat leagues around the nation.
U of L has nine players assigned to the prestigious Cape Cod League, including four 2012 All-BIG EAST selections in outfielder Adam Engel (Chatham Anglers), right-handed pitcher Jared Ruxer (Wareham Gatemen), outfielder Cole Sturgeon (Wareham Gatemen) and righty Jeff Thompson (Bourne Braves). Joining Engel in Chatham are right-hander Nick Burdi, infielder Alex Chittenden and righty Dace Kime. Right-handed pitcher Chad Green will play alongside Thompson in Bourne, while left-hander Joe Filomeno will be with Ruxer and Sturgeon in Wareham.
The Cardinals have five players assigned to the New England League with right-hander Joe Ceja and catcher Cameron O'Brien set to play for the Keene Swamp Bats, first baseman Ryan Karl and outfielder Mike White competing for the Vermont Mountaineers and righty Brandon Alphin playing for the Sanford Mainers. Four Louisville players are assigned to the Northwoods League with All-BIG EAST second baseman Nick Ratajczak and lefty pitcher Kyle McGrath playing for the Mankato MoonDogs, All-BIG EAST third baseman Ty Young competing for the Lakeshore Chinooks and infielder Mason Snyder on the roster for the Green Bay Bullfrogs.
Three Louisville players are scheduled to compete in the Coastal Plain League with All-BIG EAST designated hitter Jeff Gardner
and outfielder Matt Helms
playing for the Florence RedWolves and catcher Kyle Gibson
competing for the Thomasville HiToms. Three more Cardinals are assigned to the Perfect Game League with catcher Shane Crain
and infielders Zach Lucas
and Sutton Whiting
playing for the Oneonta Outlaws. Lefty Jakson Deyer
will be the only Cardinal in the Great Lakes League as he plays for the Lexington Hustlers.
Following the completion of the collegiate summer leagues, players will return to campus for the fall semester in mid-August to continue the Cardinals' preparation for the 2013 college baseball season. Louisville ended its 2012 season earlier this month in the championship round of the NCAA Regional in Tucson, Ariz.
Fans can follow Louisville baseball on Twitter at http://twitter.com/uoflbaseball and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ulbaseball.
2012 University of Louisville Summer Baseball Assignments
Cape Cod League (June 14 start date)
- Nick Burdi, Chatham Anglers
- Alex Chittenden, Chatham Anglers
- Adam Engel, Chatham Anglers
- Joe Filomeno, Wareham Gatemen
- Chad Green, Bourne Braves
- Dace Kime, Chatham Anglers
- Jared Ruxer, Wareham Gatemen
- Cole Sturgeon, Wareham Gatemen
- Jeff Thompson, Bourne Braves
New England League (June 7 start date)
- Brandon Alphin, Sanford Mainers
- Joe Ceja, Keene Swamp Bats
- Ryan Karl, Vermont Mountaineers
- Cameron O'Brien, Keene Swamp Bats
- Mike White, Vermont Mountaineers
Northwoods League (May 30 start date)
- Kyle McGrath, Mankato MoonDogs
- Nick Ratajczak, Mankato MoonDogs
- Mason Snyder, Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Ty Young, Lakeshore Chinooks
Coastal Plain League (May 29 start date)
- Jeff Gardner, Florence RedWolves
- Kyle Gibson, Thomasville HiToms
- Matt Helms, Florence RedWolves
Perfect Game League (June 6 start date)
- Shane Crain, Oneonta Outlaws
- Zach Lucas, Oneonta Outlaws
- Sutton Whiting, Oneonta Outlaws
Great Lakes League (June 8 start date)
- Jakson Deyer, Lexington Hustlers