June 7, 2014
Junior Jared Ruxer led a group of eight players with ties to the Louisville program selected on the final day of the 2014 MLB Draft.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The 2014 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft ended in a flurry for Louisville as five current Cardinals and three prep signees were selected during the third and final day of the event on Saturday.
Saturday's six Louisville draft picks included junior righty pitcher Jared Ruxer (Indianapolis, Ind.) going in the 12th round (359th overall) to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, junior lefty pitcher Joe Filomeno (Cicero, Ill.) going in the 15th round (456th overall) to the Texas Rangers and junior infielder Grant Kay (Omaha, Neb.) going in the 27th round (817th overall) to the Tampa Bay Rays. Those three were followed by junior infielder Zach Lucas (Louisville, Ky.) going in the 29th round (881st overall) to the Pittsburgh Pirates and junior lefty pitcher Kyle McGrath (Louisville, Ky.) going in the 36th round (1,077th overall) to the San Diego Padres.
The trio of Louisville prep signees selected on Saturday included catcher Mitch Trees (Springfield, Ill./Sacred Heart Griffin HS) going in the 11th round (335th overall) to the Cincinnati Reds, righty pitcher Bryan Dobzanski (Franklinville, N.J./Delsea Regional HS) going in the 29th round (885th overall) to the St. Louis Cardinals and lefty pitcher Brendan McKay (Darlington, Pa./Blackhawk HS) going in the 34th round (1,017th overall) to the Padres. Overall, eight players on this year's Louisville squad were selected in the MLB Draft, the second most in program history behind the 10 in 2010.
A 2014 Second Team All-American Conference selection, Ruxer was 7-1 with a 2.27 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 75.1 innings pitched and 13 starts this season. Entering this weekend's NCAA Super Regional, Filomeno made 11 appearances on the mound, including four starts going 1-3 with a 7.54 ERA. Kay carried a .293 average, five home runs, 35 RBI and 23 stolen bases in his 56 starts this season entering Saturday night's NCAA games.
A Third Team All-American Conference honoree in 2014, Lucas was hitting .264 with five home runs, 44 RBI and 12 doubles in 62 starts at second base entering Saturday. Going into the second game of the weekend, McGrath was 2-1 with a 1.38 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 39.0 innings of relief and 22 appearances on the mound.
Fans can follow Louisville baseball on Twitter (@UofLBaseball) at http://twitter.com/uoflbaseball and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ulbaseball.
Louisville Baseball at the 2014 MLB Draft
2014 Louisville Players
- RHP Nick Burdi (Downers Grove, Ill./Downers Grove South HS) - 2nd Round - 46th overall - Minnesota Twins
- OF Jeff Gardner (Louisville, Ky./Whitefield Academy) - 8th Round - 244th overall - Washington Nationals
- OF Cole Sturgeon (Owensboro, Ky./Owensboro Catholic HS) - 10th Round - 314th overall - Boston Red Sox
- RHP Jared Ruxer (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence Central HS) - 12th Round - 359th overall - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- LHP Joe Filomeno (Cicero, Ill./St. Rita HS) - 15th Round - 456th overall - Texas Rangers
- INF Grant Kay (Omaha, Neb./Iowa Western CC) - 27th Round - 817th overall - Tampa Bay Rays
- INF Zach Lucas (Louisville, Ky./Butler HS) - 29th Round - 881st overall - Pittsburgh Pirates
- LHP Kyle McGrath (Louisville, Ky./Butler HS) - 36th Round - 1,077th overall - San Diego Padres
2014 Louisville Prep Signees
- C Mitch Trees (Springfield, Ill./Sacred Heart Griffin HS) - 11th Round - 335th overall - Cincinnati Reds
- RHP Bryan Dobzanski (Franklinville, N.J./Delsea Regional HS) - 29th Round - 885th overall - St. Louis Cardinals
- LHP Brendan McKay (Darlington, Pa./Blackhawk HS) - 34th Round - 1,017th overall - San Diego Padres