University of Louisville student-athletes are proud to help serve the older adults in the Louisville community at the Christian Homes Church of Kentucky. The Home was established in 1884 and each day, meets the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of over 2,000 older adults, troubled children and their families, and individuals with mental retardation or other developmental disabilities.
You can get involved, and make a difference in someone's life, and have a great time doing it. Some of the volunteer opportunities include:
- 'Adopt a grandparent' - Commit to become a special friend. Give attention at least two times a month, i.e. , visit or write and show special attention on holidays and birthdays. (A team can do this).
- Friendly visitors - Share your time and your love. Listen with sincere interest and let someone know his or her life is important!
- 'Beautiful You' Program - Give manicures to the residents.
- Be a date - Attend dances, and dance with the residents.
- Help decorate for the holidays
- Games - Play cards, bunco, chess or Scrabble with residents. Possibly teach new games or run a Bingo game. Our prizes or yours. Serve refreshments and have a party in the evening or afternoon.
- Bus drivers - Be willing to drive occasionally for outings.
- Library cart - Offer reading material to residents.
- Read - Read articles, news, mail, poetry, the Bible or stories to the residents.
- Wheelchair pilots - Help residents get to events.
- Music - Share your talent and JOY of music. Group program or carol the hall. Go room to room any time and sing. Sing-a-longs!
- Help outside - Be a companion for a walk or visit outside. Learn to walk with our blind residents.
- Escorts for residents to their appointments - They can go to the doctor with confidence because you are there to help, if needed.
- Show a movie - Use our equipment. Serve popcorn.
- Write letters or prepare cards - Assist residents with mail.
- Entertain - Present a skit, puppet show or pantomime.
- Arts and Crafts - One on one help needed.
- Make decorations/favors - Make favors for meal trays. Make something for residents' doors or to put up in room for a season or holiday.
- Sew - Sew walker bags.
- Make a card - Holiday or "I care." Bring it or mail it.
- Help residents go to Sunday service - Service is at 2:30 p.m.
- Silverware wrapping - Chat with the residents while you help with the wrapping of the silverware. Regular schedule - Wednesday & Friday 9:00 a.m.
- Be a computer helper - Help the residents navigate on the computer.
- A 'pet' person - Come share a pet with residents (documentation of vaccinations required). OR help clean the cages.
You can volunteer on a consistent basis, or be a one-time helper. The Christian Church Homes of Kentucky offers very flexible times for you to volunteer. Notify Lesley Prather to set up a time to go. Be sure to sign the CardsCARE sheet at the front desk upon each visit. Contact Person: Mickie Modjeski.
For more information or sign-up, contact:
DIRECTIONS to Christian Church Homes:
- Go North on 4th Street towards downtown
- Turn left on St. Catherine
- Turn right on 5th Street (1st right)
- Go 1.5 blocks, and the Christian Church Homes (Chapel House) will be on your right (it has an awning over the entrance and is near Memorial Auditorium)
- Address is 945 South Fifth Street
- Contact person - Mickie Modjeski