Feb. 27, 2003
Thank you for your support of Cardinal Athletics and for supporting the student-athletes in post-season play. Undoubtedly, this is an exciting time for all fans. As part of our continuing effort to ensure compliance with NCAA rules and regulations, please remember the following:
Contact with Current Student-Athletes
The NCAA regulates contact with current University of Louisville student-athletes, as well as their friends and family. In general, you may not provide anything or make special arrangements for our student-athletes, or their friends or family, which is not available to the general student population.
As a booster of the program, you are prohibited from:
- Providing room and/or board or transportation for a student-athlete with eligibility remaining.
- Entertaining student-athletes or their friends or relatives (you may not even buy them a cup of coffee).
- Providing the use of an automobile for a student-athlete for any purpose.
- Providing an award or gift to a student-athlete for athletic performance.
- Purchasing complimentary admissions or athletic gear from a student-athlete.
- Providing an honorarium to a student athlete for a speaking engagement.
- Allowing a student-athlete to use your telephone to make free long-distance calls.
An "extra benefit" is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a booster to provide a student-athlete, prospect or their relatives or friends a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation.
Examples of extra benefits not allowed by the rules include, but are not limited to the following:
- Gifts of any kind, including birthday and holiday gifts.
- The use of an automobile, or a ride.
- Free rent, or reduced rent, housing.
- Tickets to an athletic or community event.
- Entertaining a prospect, or a prospect's family or legal guardian.
- Cash or loans in any amount, or signing or cosigning for a loan.
For additional information, contact Associate Athletic Director of Compliance John Carns at (502) 852-7728.