The Cardinal Degree Completion Program (CDCP) was established to assist returning student-athletes, who have exhausted their athletic scholarship eligibility, with the costs of full- or part-time tuition and books associated with completing their degree at the University of Louisville. The CDCP provides employment opportunities through the University of Louisville Athletic Association (ULAA) to allow former scholarship student-athletes the opportunity to receive financial assistance to complete their degrees. Participation in the program is approved on a semester by semester basis, not to exceed four (4) consecutive semesters. Continued employment in the subsequent semester is based on academic progress and the satisfactory completion of all employment requirements in a given semester.
All applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible to participate in the program:
- Be eligible for re-admission to the University of Louisville
- Be within 30 credit hours (of course work) of graduating, not including internship
- Not be under contract with, or receive compensation from, a professional organization or agent
- Have been a scholarship athlete while attending U of L and not have been dismissed from your team for disciplinary reasons
Any exceptions to the above must be approved by the Associate Athletics Director for Academic Services and the Athletic Director.
A returning student-athlete will be required to work for the ULAA in an assigned department for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
- Obtain and complete a readmission application from the Admissions Office. Olga Peers Academic Center (OPAC) staff can assist you with this application. Submit the completed readmission application to Carrie Mundorf, Admissions Counselor, Room 150, Houchens Bldg.
- Review the Cardinal Degree Completion Program (CDCP) eligibility criteria. If you do not meet the CDCP eligibility criteria then your request for assistance will be reviewed by the CDCP panel. Complete the student-athlete sections of the CDCP Application Form.
- Obtain a degree audit from OPAC staff. Contact your college advisor to schedule an appointment. With the assistance of your college advisor, complete the Degree Completion Graduation Plan. Submit the CDCP application, graduation plan, and resume' of work experience since completion of your eligibility (please include references) to the CDCP program coordinator in the Olga Peers Academic Center for review and approval.
- Meet with Associate Athletics Director for Academic Services to complete a CDCP employment agreement.
- Register for classes with OPAC staff and then meet with the Associate Athletic Director for Academic services to discuss employment assignment.
CDCP Application Process
- Obtain and complete a RE-ADMISSION APPLICATION from the Admissions Office (see Carrie Mundorf, Admissions Counselor, if you need assistance with your application). Submit a completed RE-ADMISSION APPLICATION to Admission Office in Houchens Building. Refer residency questions to the Office of Student Services. Complete a FAFSA to determine financial aid eligibility and submit it to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Review the CDCP (Cardinal Degree Completion Program) eligibility criteria. If you do not meet the CDCP eligibility criteria, your request for assistance will be reviewed by the CDCP panel.
- Complete SECTION I and 2 of the Cardinal Degree Completion Program Application Form.
- Obtain a Degree Audit from your College Academic Counselor. Contact your college advisor to schedule an appointment. With the assistance of your college advisor, complete the Degree Completion Graduation Plan.
- Submit all application materials to the program coordinator in the Olga S. Peers Academic Center (OPAC) for review.
- CDCP Application
- Graduation Plan (with Degree Audit)
- ULAA Employment Application
- Resume', including references
RECEIVE APPROVAL/DENIAL NOTIFICATION FROM PROGRAM COORDINATOR.
Meet with Associate Athletic Director for Academic Services to complete a CDCP employment agreement. It is your responsibility to schedule a meeting with the Associate Athletic Director prior to the beginning of the semester to complete the necessary employment documentation. You will then meet with your direct supervisor to determine your responsibilities and weekly schedule.
Register for classes with your OPAC advisor.
Meet with CDCP program coordinator to discuss your employment assignment.